creative installation — blurring the lines between art and architecture. m.
Brooklyn-based visual artist Aaron Asis tied over 2,000 metres of blue cord across Philadelphia’s disused St Andrew’s Collegiate Chapel for this installation (+ slideshow).
The Ci-Lines — pronounced “see-lines” — installation was created by tying and wrapping blue paracord around carved wooden posts and architectural columns within the church.
Resulting lines across the space follow the paths of natural light entering through the windows of the 1924 Gothic Revival-style church, located on the corner of South 42nd Street and Spruce Street in West Philadelphia.
The installation intended to draw attention to the chapel’s architecture and engage the local community with the forgotten landmark, which has been closed and without heating, electricity or plumbing for more than 20 years.